Summer holidays are just around the corner which means you’ll soon be looking for fun outdoor activities to enjoy as a family. We think there is no better way to celebrate the new season than with an outdoor adventure! It's time to pack those little backpacks and head outside!
We agree with our friends at Muddy Puddles who have a mission to inspire and enable thousands of children and families to enjoy the natural world around them and spend more time outdoors whatever the weather. They are children’s outerwear experts and believe there is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong kit.
We’re super excited to share with you these six brilliant summer activities for children.
- Have a family picnic - What’s better than a family picnic on a sunny day? Enjoying a meal outdoors is super fun and we’re sure your children will love it. Ask them for help with preparing sandwiches or salads, pack your picnic bag and head to the nearest park, beach or forest.
- Visit a farm park - If you’re looking for family activities to enjoy this summer, a trip to a nearby farm park is a great idea. Relax and recharge the batteries while the little explorers have fun. Don’t forget to take suncream and a pair of wellies so you're prepared for all weather!
- Go on a family adventure - Go on a family-friendly hike to catch some fresh air and relax. Family walks are a brilliant idea as they’re easy to organise and great for you and your family. We’re truly spoilt for choice in the UK – whether you prefer an easy walking route or a more challenging one, you won’t have to look too far.
- Get them gardening - Gardening is fun! Plus, it has lots of benefits. It’s a great way for children to spend more time outdoors, it strengthens their connection to food and can set them up with a healthy hobby for life. If you live in the city and don’t have your own garden, there are usually lots of community gardens where you and your children can volunteer.
- Go on a scavenger hunt - Organise an exciting scavenger hunt for your children to keep them entertained. You can go scavenging pretty much anywhere you like, whether you’re on the beach, in the city or in your back garden. Put together a list of items for the children to find and let the competition begin! Have a look at Muddy Puddle's printable summer spotting sheets, perfect to play at the beach or on a summer walk.
- Enjoy the rain - If you get a rainy day (which is more than likely in the UK) embrace it! It hopefully won't be cold, so pop on some waterproofs and wellies and head outside. Do you very own 'singing in the rain' with an umbrella! Allow your kids to get as wet as they like... Splashing in puddles, squelching in mud and generally have a wonderful time. Everything can be washed and dried later!
We hope you have a wonderful summer with your kids and get up to lots of brilliant adventures.