Our lovely friends at Cutter & Squidge have shared this delightful cake recipe with us, perfect for a summer indulgence. It makes a stunning centrepiece to any table setting, or an excellent addition to a delicious afternoon tea. Spotted this cake in our most recent Summer with Sophie video? Well here's how you can make it yourself at home!
Prep time: 15 mins
Bake time: 20 mins
Total Time 1:30 mins
3 Medium Eggs
1 Lemon Zest
200g All Purpose Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
6 tbsp Mixed Berry Jam (Raspberry & Strawberry)
150g Soft Butter
350g Icing Sugar
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tbsp Milk
Jam (swirl )
Fresh Berries (Raspberries, Strawberries)
Candied Lemon Peel (optional)
Edible Flower Petals
- Beat sugar, butter, vanilla extract and lemon zest until it’s a creamy consistency.
- Slowly beat in 3 medium eggs, one by one, then fold in the dry ingredients (All-purpose flour, Baking powder, Baking soda). Stir in the milk.
- Line two 6” tins with grease proof paper, divide the mix into the two tins, spread mixture evenly in the tins and bake at 160 degrees Celsius (FAN assisted Oven) for 20 mins until risen. The cake should spring back when gently pushed in the middle.
- When ready, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin, before turning out onto a wire rack and cooling completely.
- Meanwhile make the buttercream, whip together the icing sugar, butter and vanilla extract until creamy, then add the milk and whip until fluffy and light.
Assembling the cake:
- Spread half of the buttercream evenly on the sponge, then pipe the jam over the buttercream and place the second layer of sponge over to create a sandwich.
- To decorate cover the top with the other half of the buttercream evenly, and make a swirl with the jam over the buttercream, place the berries, candied lemon peel (optional) and edible petals to create a crown.
See this delicious cake in our recent Summer with Sophie video:
Tried this recipe yourself at home? Let us know how you got on in the comments below.