A traditional and delicious cake which lets us take a step back in time, originally this attractive courting cake was baked by young ladies for their betrothed. The wonderful team at Dairy Diary have shared this beautiful strawberry cake from their Around Britain Cookbook! Perfect for serving up a slice of summer to your table setting or creating a mouth-watering dessert! This lovely cake pairs perfectly with Sophie's new Strawberries collection!
Strawberries Adult Apron
Strawberries Double Oven Glove
Strawberries Fabric Placemat
Strawberries Jug - Small
Strawberries Napkins (Set of 4)
Strawberries Table Runner
Strawberries Linen Blend Tablecloth
- Butter 225g (8oz)
- Caster sugar 225g (8oz)
- Eggs 4, beaten
- Self-raising flour 350g (12oz)
- Milk 2–3 tbsp
- Double cream 300ml (1 ⁄2 pint), whipped
- Strawberries 225g (8oz), sliced
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and grease and line three 18cm (7in) round sandwich cake tins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour and then add enough milk to give a dropping consistency.
- Divide the mixture between the three cake tins and bake in the oven for 25–30 minutes until well risen and firm. Turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Whip the cream until it holds soft peaks. Sandwich together the cakes with the cream and strawberries, reserving a few for decoration. Dust the top with icing sugar and decorate with strawberries.
Loved this delicious strawberry and cream cake recipe? Discover more recipes from the wonderful Around Britain Cookbook here. Love strawberries as much as we do? Discover sweet Strawberries homewares and accessories by Sophie Allport.