Laying on a blanket sipping an ice-cold drink and indulging in your favourite foods is an idyllic way to spend your day. It’s easy to find happiness when it’s picnic season – a chance to bask in the sunshine and spend some quality time with your family or maybe even a summer read.
At Sophie Allport, we’ve got some tried and tested hacks so you can enjoy your delicious spread with ease. Ready for some serious picnicking?
- Pack the essentials - It goes without saying that you should never forget plates. Picnics might be the one time that it’s deemed ok to eat with your hands, but plates are essential for all of that picking and sharing you’ll be doing. Plus, would it even be a picnic without pretty plates?
- Keep it cool - A frozen bottle of water serves as a great cooler for your picnic bag and a refreshing beverage once the ice has melted. (It'll also keep your bottle of fizz nice and chilled!) Frozen grapes are also a tasty ice cube alternative to give drinks a fruity flavour and keep you refreshed for your day under the sun.
- Say bye to bugs - Cupcake cases are really handy for stopping tiny creatures from crawling into your drink. Simply pop them over your cup and slide a straw through them to enjoy a bug-free beverage. You can also stick cupcake cases under ice-lollies to avoid messy fingers.
- Come prepared - If it’s a fuss-free picnic you’re looking for, then we suggest you pack individual lunch boxes for the kids so there’s no room for arguments about who gets what. Bring separate picnic bags for the adults so you can group certain foods together. When you arrive at your picnic you’ll instantly know where everything is, ready to tuck in at a moments notice!
- No wet blankets! - There’s nothing like a cold wet blanket to dampen your day. Our quirky roll-up picnic blankets have a practical water resistant base so no soggy bottoms!
- Make it your own - Don’t forget your picnic can take place wherever you choose – on the grass, by the river or on the beach. You can also involve any food of your choice. A portable mini BBQ is a great hack for delicious fresh cooked food to be served at your picnic. All you need to do is pack the extras! Lastly, bring along some portable speakers or make your own by placing your phone in a cup and create a picnic playlist to suit the mood and location.
Outdoor dining has never been this easy and we hope these hacks have got you ready to lay down your blanket and enjoy a great British picnic. Have you got any hacks to share?