Give a gift from the heart! We love these Sophie Allport hearts made from our Fabric By The Metre. Perfect for making for Mother's Day, anniversaries or just simply sending to your friends and family as a cute gift to make them smile. Follow our step-by-step guide below to see how we made them.
You will need:
- Tape measure
- Filling (wool, cotton or polyester)
- Lavender or scented herbs (optional)
- Purchase some of our lovely Sophie Allport fabric. We've got a wide range of designs to choose from.
- Make a heart stencil out of card or a piece of cardboard (e.g a used cereal box or any cardboard from your recycling) roughly 10cm wide.
- Line up your fabric with your stencil and carefully cut your fabric to shape. Each heart will be different depending on which part of the fabric you select.
- Once you have cut two heart shapes out of your fabric, lie one on top of the other making sure the reverse sides of the fabric are facing outwards as this will be the inside of your heart. Pin these together in the centre.
- Get your needle and thread prepared, we would suggest using a thread colour that will complement the fabric.
- Start sewing a running stitch roughly 5mm from the edge of your heart all the way round following the shape. Leave a gap of roughly 4cm before your stitching meets.
- Using the gap turn the heart inside out so now your beautiful fabric shows on the outside.
- Then using your stuffing of choice (wool, cotton, polyester) stuff your heart. For an extra special touch, you can also add some lavender or scented herbs to the stuffing.
- Once fully stuffed stitch up the opening using a whip stitch and voila you’re done.
Have you tried to make our Sophie Allport hearts? We'd love to hear all about how you got on, let us know in the comments below.