Sophie Allport has joined forces with international wildlife charity ZSL (the Zoological Society of London) to create a beautiful new collection inspired by the animals of the African savannah and ZSL’s work to protect them.
Many of you may know ZSL through it’s wonderful zoos in London and Whipsnade. But you may not know that ZSL also works in over 50 countries around the world, helping to secure a future for endangered animals.
ZSL is made up of passionate people, playing a lot of important roles. From leading scientists and conservationists to vets and expert zoo keepers, all working together so that incredible animals don’t become a memory. Celebrating ZSL’s work in the savannah, Sophie has chosen two iconic animals to illustrate - the cheetah and the African elephant.
These beautiful designs, printed on a range of striking homewares, from mugs and cushions to bags and umbrellas, highlight not only the beauty of the savannah’s wildlife but also the importance of protecting it.
Extending across thousands of square miles, the African savannah is a crucial habitat to some of the largest remaining numbers of Africa’s animals, including most of the world’s 7,000 cheetahs. Sadly, African elephants and cheetahs face serious threats across their ranges. Habitat loss, conflict with people and illegal wildlife trade is causing elephant and cheetah numbers to fall rapidly in many parts of Africa.
ZSL are working to tackle these threats and protect cheetahs and elephants in key locations. They are helping to combat the illegal wildlife trade by training rangers, using innovative ‘poachercams’ and working with wildlife authorities to improve law enforcement.
They are working with local communities, to engage people in conservation and encourage sustainable use of resources to help people and animals to live alongside each other. And at the top level, ZSL are advising government and global decision-makers to help create policies that protect precious species.
How you can help:
Through buying the ZSL Sophie Allport collection you are helping to support ZSL’s vital conservation work. If you would like to get involved in supporting ZSL further, you can:
- Donate to ZSL – text ZSLWILDLIFE to 70300 to donate £3 to ZSL’s conservation work.
- Download ZSL’s free Instant Wild app – get incredible live wildlife images instantly sent to your smartphone or online at instantwild.zsl.org. Help identify the animals you see in the photos to contribute to ZSL’s conservation work.
- Visit ZSL London or Whipsnade Zoo – every ticket sold helps to support ZSL’s science and conservation work around the world.
- Become a Citizen Scientist - from spotting wildlife in your garden to helping with ZSL’s projects on the River Thames, you can get involved with the world of conservation. Find out how
- Hear from ZSL conservationists and find out more ways to help by signing up for ZSL’s conservation newsletter.
- Find out more about how ZSL is working for wildlife across the African savannah at zsl.org/sophie-allport.